SJCS Students Shine at State Thespian Festival
Ten students represented SJCS last week by participating virtually in the Palmetto Dramatic Association/SC Thespian State Festival, celebrating educational theatre with high school programs throughout the state.
Five students submitted performance or technical work in various categories for adjudication of the International Thespian Excellence Awards. Those listed below received a “Superior” rating by the judges and were selected to advance to compete with students from across the country at the International Thespian Festival (ITF) to be held virtually in June:
- Camille Ferguson: Makeup Design, Aladdin, Jr.
- Sara Gushue: Stage Management, Charlotte’s Web
- Sarah Poteat: Solo Musical Theatre performance of “Right Hand Man” from Something Rotten
Our competition one act, Waiting for the Bus, directed by Sara Gushue, received a Superior for Play Production, along with the following accolades:
- Superior in Acting to Andrew Walajtys
- Superior in Acting to Lyle Jones
- Superior in Acting to Sarah Poteat
- Superior in Acting to Isabel Moran
- Superior Ensemble Acting
- Superior in Student Direction to Sara Gushue
This play had a four-person cast, and all actors were recognized! Juanita Rodriguez and Emma Cumby also were involved with the production as stage managers.)
This production, competing against schools of all classifications throughout the state, was selected as Chapter Select, which means it advances to represent South Carolina at the International Thespian Festival this summer!
In addition, recognizing the great work of our students and alumni:
- Sara Gushue completed her term serving as the Student Thespian Officer Chair for S.C. Thespians and was also instrumental in leading several activities and coordinating events for the virtual festival.
- Ellen Willis (SJCS Class of 2013) led a workshop on Storytelling for all of the festival participants and shared her experiences working with Disney.
Lastly, as a professional achievement reflecting on the SJCS Theatre program, while Mrs. Teresa McGrath’s term serving as President of the Palmetto Dramatic Association has now concluded, her involvement on the S.C. Thespian Board will continue in a new role as Co-Chapter Director for S.C. Thespians.
Above are photos of the award winners, photos from the award announcements, and screenshots of the one act, Waiting for the Bus. Below are videos capturing reactions from the award announcements.
Congrats to all of the award winners for these outstanding achievements!!