Upcoming Special Programs & Events
A faithful Catholic education can prepare students not only for a career, but for life. To get a taste of the value of a faithful Catholic education, high school students are encouraged to look at summer programs at the colleges recommended in The Newman Guide to Choosing a Catholic College.
These programs are a great opportunity for high school students to strengthen their academic and extracurricular skills, grow in their spiritual lives, get a head-start on college visits, learn from distinguished professors, make lifelong friends, and experience what faithful Catholic education is all about.
College Virtual Tours
This is a very comprehensive list to find out whether the college/s you are interested in are offering any sort of virtual tours, experiences, etc. Check it out
Ten of the top public research universities around the country have partnered to help you and your family navigate a national college search process in a virtual world. This is an opportunity to engage with admission experts to learn how to effectively search for and compare colleges, pay for your education, and find the academic and student experience that is right for you.
JUNE 1-10 REGISTER HERE
We are excited to present the Terrific Ten College Exploration Series. Sessions are hosted by:
- Arizona State University
- Clemson University
- Penn State
- The University of Texas at Austin
- University of California San Diego
- University of Georgia
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- University of Nebraska
- University of Oregon
- University of Colorado Boulder
The Experiences in Architecture (EiA) program at the Catholic University of America (CUA) is an intense, two-week, pre-college workshop for students interested in architecture or other design-related fields. Students are exposed to both the academic and professional sides of the architectural arena, as the city of Washington, D.C. becomes their virtual classroom.
EiA will better prepare students for the rigors of architecture school, giving them a head start, as well as acquainting them with campus life at the university level. Students who have participated in EiA’s summer workshop, or a similar pre-college program, are better prepared for success at the university level.
This year EiA will continue with its online experience! We have phenomenal instructors that are experienced in creating a successful online studio environment with small groups and individualized focus. As students in the program, you will still have access to all of our best lecturers and get to experience virtual tours of museums, firms and the CUA campus. Students will receive their own set of tools and we look forward to working through this tool kit to ensure students gain the foundational knowledge they need for drawing, sketching and model making.
Students will leave this workshop with an array of technical skills, a higher level of confidence in giving presentations, a greater understanding of how the design profession works and connections with professors and practitioners. This is truly an one-of-a-kind experience that we would love to share with you.
DATES: July 5-16th, 2021
Optional Week 3: focus on digital tools, July 19-23rd, 2021
TUITION: $1,300 (includes toolkit of supplies)
Optional Week 3: $600
DEADLINE: Application and Payment Deadline is June 1st
A 4-week mini-course for helping students develop their leadership capacities, then brainstorm and potentially launch a self-directed project.
July 9th – 30th
In this month-long virtual course, you’ll:
- Identify your core values and discover how they manifest in your life
- Learn how you lead: are you more comfortable out front (envisioning big ideas) or in a supporting role (helping others get things done)?
- Work through an OnDemand video curriculum containing all the tools you need to create, launch, and level up your self-directed project
- Join live weekly workshop sessions with Bonnie to brainstorm ideas, give and receive feedback on each other’s projects, and troubleshoot problems and roadblocks as a group
- Read and watch a curated selection of fantastic articles & videos on how to grow as a self-directed learner and generally become a more thoughtful and productive person
- Become part of a closed community of peers (on Discord) to connect, collaborate, and share ideas
Interested in the course?
Creative high school students develop their cinematic and journalistic storytelling skills producing films, videos, visual effects, webcasts and more at Boston University’s Academy of Media Production. AMP’s daily livestream is collaborative remote learning unlike anything you’ve ever experienced.
- Navigating and Belonging: A Special Session for First-Generation and Low-Income Students – May 24 at 8 pm EDT or May 26 at 8 pm EDT
Let There Be Mom is excited to continue our Student Ambassador program in the 2021-2022 school year. Our goal is to equip students to be stable branches of our organization within their schools. They will be responsible for spreading the word about our mission, our volunteer opportunities, and our upcoming events. Students will engage with local leaders within our community to learn valuable skills that will help them not only through this process, but also within their lives.
Up to 20 local high school juniors and/or seniors may be selected to participate in the program (no more than two representatives from the same school). Students will be expected to attend meetings (typically in the evening, on the 3rd Tuesday of each month) throughout the school year and will have the opportunity to serve as lead volunteers during events. The program will not be all work – expect to have some fun!
How to Apply
Rising high school Juniors and Seniors in the Upstate of SC who attend a public or private school are eligible. Students must complete the online application, have a recommendation form submitted on their behalf, have approval from school, & participate in an in person interview. Please have your resume and transcript available as an upload before beginning your online application. Applications will be accepted through May 31, 2021.
The Summer Immersion Program – High School Students
- Who Can Apply: 9th – 12th grade students
- What: Students can learn about a field-of-study or career pathway that interests them from anywhere in the world with one of our 21 incredible online institutes.
- Where: The Summer Immersion Program will be hosting online programming only for Summer 2021.
- Why: Students will have the unique opportunity to build relationships with Wake Forest University students who will serve as mentors throughout the week, hear from industry leading experts, be led by Wake’s world class faculty, and experience hands-on labs.
PreCollege offers an intensive four-week summer program that teaches you the fundamentals
of art and design, gives you a taste of college-level work, and lets you explore the majors
you choose. You’ll receive hands-on instruction every day from world-class teachers as well as
studio time, so you can develop as an artist and strengthen your portfolio for college admissions
and scholarships. You’ll earn college credit, meet like-minded artists from all over the world, and
have the time of your life.