Jubilate Knight for the Arts
Jubilate Knight for the Arts Talent Competition
Jubilate Knight for the Arts is the Fine Arts Department’s spring fundraising event, taking place on Saturday, May 11, 2019. Auditions are open to any member of the St. Joseph’s community – students, parents, faculty, staff, and alumni! Attend one of the audition dates below for the chance to showcase your talent at the event of the year!
Thursday, April 25 – 3:10-7:00
Tuesday, April 30 – 3:10-7:00
Auditions will take place in the Pope Saint John Paul II Center and are scheduled in ten minute intervals. (Enter through the Cafeteria door)
– Plan your audition selection
– Sign up for an audition time with Sign Up Genius.
– The day before you audition, turn in your Audition Form to Ms. McGrath. Note: The student audition form requires a parent signature for all performers. If you are a part of a group, each performer will need to turn in the audition form with their parent’s signature.
We are looking for “performance ready” acts. Acts that are still being choreographed, memorized, blocked, etc., or that are under-rehearsed risk not being selected for Jubilate Knight. Students should not audition in more than three performance acts.
If your performance is selected to perform at Jubilate Knight:
– You MUST attend the entire dress rehearsal on Tuesday, May 7 from 5:30-8:30 PM
– Your school account will be charged a $5 entry fee for each performance act that you are in at JK. This entry fee will be waived for SJCS faculty/staff/alumni.
Competition Winners and Household Points:
At Jubilate Knight, category winners will be determined by audience vote. The overall winning act will be determined by a panel of judges and will receive a trophy and have their name engraved on the Jubilate Knight plaque that hangs in the SJCS Main Lobby.
Students & Faculty can earn points for their Household by simply auditioning for this event. The further they advance in the competition, the more points they can earn.
Tips for a successful audition:
- Plan ahead! Coordinate practice sessions, arrange for an accompaniment (or instrumental track), have CD or music prepared, etc. so that you will be prepared prior to your audition day. Have your performance memorized.
- All performance acts must be within the 4-minute time limit. Due to time constraints for the event, your selection may be edited for length.
- Choose material appropriate for the SJCS stage.
- Have your audition form completed prior to your audition time (with parent signature).
- Bring any instruments or materials needed.
- Audition in your costume or bring a picture of what you plan to wear.
- For vocal performance, plan to audition with live accompaniment, or bring an instrumental recording.
- An iPod hook-up will be available for accompaniment music. If you are using a CD, bring a CD player.
- Practice, practice, practice!
- We are looking for “performance ready” acts. Acts that are still being choreographed, memorized, blocked, etc., or that are under-rehearsed risk not being selected for Jubilate Knight.
Auditions will be judged primarily on the following areas:
|Preparedness||Prepared with props, costumes, music track/accompanist, and other materials; Memorized song/act; organized and well-rehearsed|
|Stage Presence||Physically present on stage, comfortable and confident in their performance; level of energy; facial expression, body language, professionalism, and demeanor; ability to work through mistakes (if applicable); Content understandable|
|Quality of Performance / Talent Level / Execution||Overall performance is of a high quality/skill set; polished and fine-tuned; engaging/entertaining to watch and be a part of|
|Audience Response||Ability to draw the audience into the performance|
|Originality / Creativity of choice||Ability to be distinct in performance selection/creation; personality added to the performance act|
|Appropriateness||Appropriate selection of material for a family-friendly audience|
|Overall Performance||Judge’s judgement on the performance as a whole; ability to present material with poise, personality, and originality|