Our Lady’s Pantry Mural Dedication and Spring Visual Arts News
At the end of January, Art Teacher Deborah Pickard met with SJCS parent Maria Gray, who works for Catholic Charities, to make a plan for St. Joseph’s students and faculty to create artwork for a new healthy food bank, Our Lady’s Pantry. Fifteen students and two faculty painted 112 6″x 6″ canvases with 16 different fruits and vegetables – 7 canvases in each grouping. Also, Caroline Morris, Katie Hudak, Rachel Hall, Kate Harrison and Mrs. Pickard designed and painted a mural for the new food bank building.
You are invited to the mural dedication this Sunday, April 29th at 3 pm. The address is 2300 Old Buncombe Road, Greenville, 29609.
The Jubilate Guild donated the funds for the canvases and paint with funds raised from last year’s Jubilate Knight, so please be sure to come out again this year for Jubilate Knight on May 5th! Participation in the fine arts creates a very real impact on our students and the community, and we thank you in advance for your support!
In other news:
Matt Pelicano (late SJCS teacher Jeanette Pelicano’s husband) will have his first children’s book published this summer and asked for help with illustrations. Andrea Tolmos, Anna Impeduglia and Ashley Spikings will be illustrating his book and possibly other books in the future.
The following students represented or will represent SJCS in several art shows this spring.
- Youth Art Month – Dominic Mosley, Katy Tally and Daniel Klosowski
- Upstate High School Art Show – Andrea Tolmos, Andy Yang, Daniel Klosowski, Reagan Chittam, Catalina Lindstrom, Jack Doyle, Adrianna Vandross, and Caroline Morris
- Congressional Art Competition District 3 – Andrea Tolmos
- Congressional Art Competition District 4 – Ashley Spikings, Daniel Klosowski, Anna Wallace Clark, Andy Yang and Catalina Lindstrom
- Gala – Katie Hudak, student artist; Anna Wallace Clark and Rachel Hall donated original artwork for auction
- Completed 29 portraits for children in Puerto Rico through the Memory Project.
It’s been very busy 2nd semester! Thank you to everyone who participated!