Students Claim Honors at SC Thespian State Festival
Last weekend, fourteen of our students represented St. Joseph’s at the Palmetto Dramatic Association/SC Thespian State Festival, celebrating educational theatre with twenty-five high schools from South Carolina.
Of the Individual Events that the students presented, the following received a “Superior” rating by the judges and were selected to advanced to compete with students from across the country at the International Thespian Festival (ITF) to be held in Lincoln, NE in June.
– Robby Matlock, Monologue performance, with selections from Skidmarks: A Play About Driving and Spy School.
– Elizabeth Poinsette, Solo Musical Theatre performance of “A Little Bit in Love” from Wonderful Town.
Our competition one act, Why Do We Laugh?, directed by Robby Matlock, received an Superior for Play Production and an Excellent in Acting to the Ensemble, along with the following additional accolades:
– Judge’s Award for Outstanding Student Director
– Honorable Mention in Acting to Philip Mosley
– Excellent in Acting to Rachel Balts
– Excellent in Acting to Elizabeth Harris
- Excellent in Acting to Max Weaver
Sydney Read‘s original script, The Grey, received an Honorable Mention in Playwriting.
Robby Matlock and Sydney Read concluded their term serving as Student Thespian Officers (STO) on the SC Student Thespian Board.
Robby Matlock received one of five Senior Thespian Scholarships awarded and also one of the four Blair Beasley Scholarships granted.
Congratulations to all our students on their very fine achievements!