The annual Academic Honor Society Inductions were held April 20th during a high school assembly. Congratulations on all our 2016 inductees.
English Honor Society
The “Mystery and Manners” Chapter of the National English Honor Society, founded in January 2011, recognizes students who have excelled in the area of language arts and who show a genuine love of subject and an interest in promoting literacy and language appreciation in the greater community. Students inducted into the society have earned unweighted cumulative grade point averages of 83 overall and 93 in English courses, have completed an Honors/AP level course, and have completed at least three high school semesters. English teacher Megan Koon is the chapter advisor.
- Congratulations to the 2016 inductees: Timothy Boen, Sam Cumby, Riley Fesler, Christian Gillespy, Isabella Gogna, Cece Hendricks, Sydney Hyer, Katie Hudak, Drew Lyons, Maeve McNamara, Jacob Peterman, Joelle Saunders, Megan Seidel, Sara Slaughter, and Francesca Strathern
Fine Arts Honor Societies
The International Thespian Society, the Educational Theatre Association’s (EdTA) student division, is the world’s largest honor society for theatre arts students. Founded in order to promote and strengthen school theatre by recognizing and rewarding excellence, EdTA endeavors to make theatre an instrument of lifelong learning and serves as the eyes, ears, and voice of the school theatre community, advocating a stronger role for theatre education in the curriculum. Students inducted into the SJCS Chapter #6388 of the International Thespian Society have participated in at least two full-length productions and earned a minimum of ten points through their involvement in at least two areas of the production experience. These students have also have taken at least one semester of a high school Theatre class, having earned a 90 or higher in any Theatre class taken. Fine Arts Department Chair Teresa McGrath is the chapter advisor.
- Congratulations to the 2016 inductees: Cole Fesler, Isabella Gogna, Hugo Hernandez, Katie Malone, Davie Marchant, Robby Matlock, Caroline McCoy, Jack Mobley, Thomas Poteat, Sydney Read, Sara Slaughter, Katherine Sokol, Josiah Tennent, Mimi Tierney, and Brannon Timms.
The National Art Honor Society seeks to inspire and recognize those students who have shown outstanding ability in art, to foster excellence and a dedicated spirit to the pursuit of art, to further creative abilities and talents of the Societyâ€™s members, to aid members in working toward the attainment of their highest potential in an art area, to bring art to the attention of the school and community, to increase awareness of art in relation to other areas of the school curriculum, and further aesthetic awareness in all aspects of the school’s total program. Art teacher Deborah Henderson is the chapter advisor.
- Congratulations to the 2016 inductees: Alexandra Masters, Adrianna Vandross, Caroline Morris, and Rachel Hall.
The SJCS Chapter #3535 of The Tri-M Music Honor Society was founded in September 2000. Tri-M provides recognition to some of the school’s finest musicians and helps unite students from the school’s various musical ensembles (vocal and instrumental) into one music department. Tri-M members assume many responsibilities, including student leadership and community service roles. In the arts, it is customary to bestow the title of “master” to those who have achieved a high degree of proficiency in their discipline. These candidates have demonstrated this quality and will have broader opportunities to serve the school and the community. High school students are invited to join based upon their involvement in the SJCS Music Department and the following criteria: Students must be enrolled for two semesters of a music classes (at least one in the current school year) or participate year-round in a school sponsored after school ensemble. Students must exhibit excellent character, as well as demonstrate good attitude toward teachers and fellow students. Students must maintain a grade of 90 or above in their music classes and at least an 80 in other academic areas. The chapter advisor is Band Director Marjorie Malphrus.
- Congratulations to the 2016 inductees: Jack Bailey, Kelly Burns, Skyler Callahan, Maria Clark, Luke Cunniffe, Caroline Curran. Sean Davis, Alfredo Diaz Santillan, Natalia Freund, Leo Gibson, Erin Griffin, Elizabeth Harris, Sara Harris, Brandon Hodge, Dessa Jones, Jacob Kiser, Sophie Lee Kiser, Jack Malo, Emerson Pace, Zack Palmer, Elizabeth Poinsette, Reagan Sahlman, Marie Schemitsch, Katherine Sokal, Phillip Stapleton, Ben Williams, Jeffrey Woodward and Anna Wortkoetter
Foreign Language Honor Societies
Foreign Language Honor Societies have a membership of students who have earned an “A” average in both semesters of their second year of language and the first semester of their third year. Members are also committed to the study and understanding of their respective cultures.
- Congratulations to the 2016 inductees into the Junior Classical League Honor Society: Francesca Strathern. Latin teacher Lavinia Plumblee is the chapter advisor.
- Congratulations to the 2016 inductees into the Société Honoraire de Français: Sam Cumby,Travis Garceau, Sarah Maunsell, Jared Rex, Camille Hoover, Katie Hudak, Daniel Klosowski, Madison Lesperance, Ella Meyer, Savannah Muron , Jonathan Nipert, Joelle Saunders, and Lauren Willoughby. Foreign Language Department Chair Jeanne McCoy is the chapter advisor.
- Congratulations to the 2016 inductees into the Sociedad Honoraria Hispanica: Katherine Alber, Joseph Boen, Christian Castillo, Dylan Conlon, Miguel Cordi, Jessica Crosby, Jack Culumovic, Rebekah Driscoll, Riley Fesler, Christian Gillespy, Karoline Gillespy, Isabella Gogna, Eddie Gonick, Gabrielle Grayson, Mary Kate Griffin, Rebecca Hammond, Sarah Harris, Jonathan Heijjer, Ben Herron, Dylan Lane, Catalina Lindstrom, Drew Lyons, Evan Mauritz, Maggie McMillen, Blake Osborne, Audrey Osburn, Sydney Read, Vanesa Rodriguez, Gabi Sammon, Megan Seidel, Micaela Sepulveda, Maddie Starks, Brandon Vogt, Allison Whitten, and Caroline Wright. Spanish teachers Viri Lashley and Mireya Lumbreras are the chapter advisors.
Math Honor Society
Mu Alpha Theta is the National High School and Two-Year College Mathematics Honor Society. The school’s chapter, founded in 2011, is dedicated to inspiring keen interest in mathematics, developing strong scholarship in the subject, and promoting the enjoyment of mathematics in high school and two-year college students. The criteria for consideration is a 90 math average, a 85 overall average, 93 in all College-Prep math classes, and 85 in all Honors/AP math classes. Math Department Chair George Carr is the chapter advisor.
- Congratulations to the 2016 inductees: Luke Bikulege, Demetri Coundoussias, Jacqueline Curry, Shane Dunlavey, Luke Erbrecht, Diego Franco, Travis Garceau, Christian Gillespy, Gabrielle Grayson, Travis Griffin, Hugo Hernandez, Sydney Hyer, David Lewis, Drew Luzzatti, Alexandra Masters, Maeve McNamara, Thomas Poteat, Jared Rex, Nicholas Rodriguez, Blake Rogers, Sara Slaughter, and Anna Thompson.
Science Honor Society
The Science National Honor Society was founded in 2000 to encourage and recognize high school students in the sciences. The SJCS chapter was formed in the fall of 2008. This society is open to all juniors and seniors who meet the qualifications for membership, which include maintaining a 90 CWA or higher, maintaining at least a 93 average in all science classes, enrollment in upper level science coursework, a commitment to taking science classes all four years of high school, and service to the school community. Science teacher Sharon Ruble is the chapter adviser.
- Congratulations to the 2016 inductees: Luke Bikulege, Kathleen Browne, Demetri Coundoussias, Jackie Curry, Shane Dunlavey, Luke Erbrecht, Diego Franco, Travis Garceau, Kathleen Gibson, Christian Gillespy, Gabrielle Grayson, Travis Griffin, Hugo Hernandez , Becky Lapinski, David Lewis, Drew Luzzatti, Davie Marchant, Anna Marcheck, Sarah Maunsell, Maeve McNamara, Paul Minerva, Mathew Nassif, Adam Okinaga, Thomas Poteat, Jared Rex, Nick Rodriguez, Blake Rogers, Sara Slaughter, and Anna Thompson.
Social Studies Honor Society
The National Social Studies Honor Society is an honor society for the recognition of achievement and excellence in the discipline of social studies at the high school level. The SJCS Kate Barry Chapter was formed in the fall of 2009 for high school students interested in the study of history who would like more opportunities to become involved in historical research, activities, volunteerism, and scholarship. The society is open to all juniors and seniors who meet the qualifications for membership, which includes maintaining an 85 average in all classes, maintaining a 90 average in all history classes, taking at least two honors or advanced placement history classes, and continuing to take a history class during senior year. History teacher Meby Carr is the chapter advisor.
- Congratulations to the 2016 inductees: David Asbury, Kathleen Browne, Margaret Carroll, Sophie Coburn, Hunter Corrin, Demetri Coundoussias, Sam Cumby, Jackie Curry, Shane Dunleavy, Luke Ebrecht, Travis Griffin, Diego Franco, Travis Garceau, Gabrielle Grayson, Christian Gillespy, Hugo Hernandez, Sydney Hyer, Victoria Jalali, Spaulding Latham, Ken Lava, David Lewis, Davie Marchant, Dominic Masotti, Maeve McNamara, Julia Ossi, Nathan Petrofes, Thomas Poteat, Nick Rodriguez, Olivia Satterfield, Walker Seman, Teddy Snow, Anna Marie Thompson, Kayla Thompson, and Mary Veideman.
National Forensics League Honor Society
The National Forensics League Honor Society membership is based on points earned by competitors at sanctioned NFL competitions. Students move up in rank, as their points increase with competition. All the students were inducted with the rank of ‘merit’ unless noted below. Members swear to uphold the highest standards of integrity, humility, respect, leadership, and service in the pursuit of excellence.
- Congratulations to the 2016 inductees: Freshmen: Addison Horton, Maddie Koontz, Michael Lynch, Elizabeth Poinsette, Maegan White; Sophomore: Riley Fesler; Juniors: Breanna Anderson, Sophie Coburn, Demetri Coundoussias, Christian Gillespy, Sydney Hyer (with Excellence), Emily Pares (with Honors), Jacob Soapes Seniors: Nick Shinas and Kate Weaver.
Click here to view more photos.